The Ugly Side of Foster Care/Adoption


This.  This right here was the final straw that broke my freakin' back.  A vase, thrown out of anger.  The closest thing in reach in a moment when all he saw was red.  All because he needed to go to bed 10 minutes early for biting his brother.  It wasn't the ceramic bank in his room that he shattered a few minutes later, or the water he deliberately poured on his bed in a rage, or the fact that he threw his ladder and every item we allow him to have in his room out of spite.  It was this vase.

I don't often get real about what goes on in our daily lives.  Some of you hear bits of it, but even through the frustration I try to spin it in a joking manner.  Maybe I shouldn't, because the truth is I don't know many who could live like we've been living.  I've been watching my daughter slowly crumble under the pressure of living in a house that feels a bit like a hostage situation.  Held captive by the never ending tantrums, and the destructive path of three little boys who unknowingly ruin every fun and special day with their inability to cope with emotions, good or bad.  I know they can't help this.  I know the cards were stacked against them even before they came into our care, but the truth remains that there is a very, very ugly side to all of this.  

A boy, pooping in the bath, just because he didn't want to take the time to get out.  A different boy spending 30 minutes in bed for repeatedly hurting his brother over a toy.  A different boy etching letters into my wooden piano bench, and subsequently lying about it.  That same boy peeing in the heating vent in his bedroom, because he was mad he had to be in time out; raining urine in our living room and ruining our ceiling tile.  A boy hitting his sister because it wasn't quite time to go to Cole Family Christmas yet.  A boy, spitting in his brother's face because he doesn't want him to look at the toy he just got.  A ten minute tantrum from a boy who didn't want to leave the party.  A boy biting his brother over a toy.  A boy breaking a vase and screaming at me that I'm stupid.  A boy tearing his room apart in a rage over an early bedtime.  

All of this happened today.  In a 12 hour span we experienced all of this, and much more, but the insane part is I could write something similar for almost every day of our lives with them.  Three boys with three very different sets of needs.  Three emotional boys constantly on the edge of explosion.  

We choose to smile while we are out in public, and we try to make the best of what we've got, and we work hard not to let the cracks show.  But the cracks are there, and widening.

The birthdays and the holidays are the worst.  Days of celebration quickly turn into days of frustration and regret.  This countdown to Christmas has been the longest 3 weeks of the year.  The teachers have seen it, and they are getting a small glimpse of what we deal with on a regular basis. Throw an adoption day into the mix and things can get pretty rough.  

I'll be honest, hearing that "boys will be boys", and "they are just being kids", or "they'll grow out of it", or "it will get easier" feels like a slap in the face.  I get it that raising kids is hard.  I've been doing it alone since Elsa and Michael were 6 and 8.  I know it isn't easy, and I know that I chose this, but let me make it clear that this is very, very different.  When you see three happy-go-lucky boys out in public, and can't understand why I'm not smiling, you can't begin to understand what happened 5 minutes before we walked out the door, or I might be worried they may run into traffic because they are mad, or I'm trying not to cry because up until this point in this day they have had nothing but nastiness for all of us.  

I'm not really sure why I'm putting this all down into words.  I think writing it makes it real, and I feel like I'm not going quite as crazy as I actually think I am sometimes.  Seeing the written words of what we went through today (really everyday) is helpful in knowing that I made it through, and I will make it through tomorrow. 

I love these boys, I really do.  I want the best for them.  I want to be the best for them.  I want them to know love, and compassion, and all the goodness that comes from a family.  

I also desperately want to feel normal again.  I think I signed away my rights to normalcy when I entered into foster care, and if that's the case I'll make the best out of this crazy life that God has given me.  I cried harder today than I have in the past 11 years.  The vase broke me.  I sobbed in front of the boy who tore his room apart.  Through tears I told him I can't do this anymore, and he finally stopped throwing things, stopped calling me nasty names, and he settled.  I stood stone-still downstairs for many minutes afterwards, just staring at the wall, and told God "I can't do this anymore.  No one should have to live like this.  I don't want to live like this.  I can't do this anymore." and then I too settled. 

I don't know what our future holds.  I don't know what will make a difference.  I don't know where we will end up, but I know I have to keep trying, and we have to keep hoping for healing for their hearts and for ours.  

Comments

  1. Melissa, as an adoptive Mom myself, I too understand your pain and frustration. Fostering/adoption is hard and sometimes, well, honestly, it doesn't work out (most people won't talk about the negative stories of adoption) but they do happen. If you ever want to talk, I am a sympathetic ear. I will not tell you it will get better (because it doesn't always) but I can tell you that I will listen without judgement. Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Penny. It's an amazing feeling knowing we aren't alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for putting into words what so many adoptive parents are thinking and feeling. These brave words penned for all to see not only helped my heart but will help others to face another day knowing that they are not alone. BIG HUGE HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, I love you. You just described how I feel sometimes with just Abby, but yours is times 3. No boys won't just be boys. No they won't just grow out of it. I have come to realize that people that don't have "strong minded" children don't have a right to comment. Prior to having Abby I used to think kids actions were a result of bad parenting. I know better now. I have had to deal with a ticking time bomb from the time she was mobile and could talk. Never knowing when she was going to explode. I'm not going to tell you that I know how you feel. My daughter was born healthy and doesn't have the emotional or health issues that you deal with. I'm just going to tell you I love you. We all love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, I am reading this through tears...I love you and have since you were born:) Feeling defeated every single day is never good but it is what parents of strong-willed children feel and experience. As you know,I have not walked through your exact circumstances, but I have my own. I have had many days of feeling defeated, weary and honestly wanted to run or drive with no specific destination but I couldn't bear another moment. I don't have any adopted children and I am married and raising 5 very strong-willed daughters has been the most amazing privilege of my life, but also the most difficult! As I like to say to people, I was the best parent ever before I had children:) I have questioned God many, many times if He is sure that I am the right Mom for my girls, do I have what it takes to raise them? Now, I watch my two daughters raise their strong-willed children as single mothers and they ask themselves the same things. My one grandson is deaf, my grandaughter is ADHD in addition to their strong-wills. I see my daughters struggle to be everything to their children, both mother and father because their fathers opted out of their lives. They do their best and I am so very proud of them, but they are weary, feel defeated, with no solutions to their struggles. They watch other families that appear to have perfect lives with perfect children and they feel alone and overwhelmed. It breaks my heart because this is their daily reality and no one really wants to help because it is hard! I truly wish I could HUG you and tell you how very proud I am of you! I admire you for writing down your feelings and sharing them with us!I will be praying for you, for wisdom, encouragement, help, understanding, strength...everything that you need sweet girl! Please know that many more people than you think live with days/nights that are a lot like you have shared and you are not alone...Love you and praying too! I would love to see you over the holidays if you are home!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa-
    My heart hurts for all of you. You ae one of the best Mom's I know. I am proud of what a good Mom you are to those boys. Having kids with different issues is a struggle mom's face every day. When Ryan was in the hospital with Leg Perthese Disease and when they put him in leg braces - I wondered what did I do wrong and how was I going to make it better for him. I prayed to God to help me do the right things. God will see you thru this. Love & prayers. Aunt Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want you to know that 1.) I love your whole family and 2.) my heart aches for you! I am praying for you now as I'm rereading and I'll continue to hold your family up in my prayers. I know that the struggle IS real! I know that it is definitely easier for people who aren't "in the midst" of "the depths" to give pat answers, smug solutions, or differing observations. What we all need to do is be better listeners, give more hugs, and probably most importantly offer to provide respite. Ignore our ignorance and continue to share how we can support you. I for one am thankful for you and the stability and love you and your two oldest have given to "the littles." Keep your head up. K.Beardsley

    Isaiah 41:10 - "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts