Potty Training Success!

Sometimes kids potty train themselves, some need a little bit of encouragement, and some take 2+ years to finally get the hang of it.  January 2011 is when I decided Easton would be potty trained.  His brother was a few months from being born and I thought it would be easier to tackle it before the baby got here.  Easton had other plans.  Ha!

We've tried treats, incentives, bribes, goals and the like, but it just was a no-go.  He kept telling us that he would do it when he was "this many", as he held up 7 fingers.  Oh, boy.  To say it's been a struggle would be an understatement.  Two nights ago we discussed it again and he disregarded me, so I dropped it.

Next morning we woke up and I just sort of internally snapped.  When I went to change his diaper I said "You are now a big boy.  Go upstairs and get on some underwear.  Big boys wear underwear.  They also drink out of big-boy cups, so no more sippy."  He looked at me like I had lost my mind, but ran upstairs, found his too tight Toy Story underwear that I bought for him 2 years ago, put it on and came downstairs.  1st thing he did was run up to Chase to show him and he said "Look Chase, I'm wearing underwear!  I'm proud of me like I'm proud of you!"  It's been smooth sailing ever since. 

We set the timer for every hour and he has done all of his business in the potty for more than 2 days!  I think not giving him the option of choosing to be a big boy was what made this successful.   I told him he was, therefore he is.  Crazy that I didn't think of this before.  Ha!  He got a tattoo every hour he was successful on the potty and soon ran out of room on his arm. 




Day 2


So proud of you, Easton!  Two down, one to go!

Comments

Popular Posts